Am I able to transfer pension benefits out of NFPS?

If you leave the NFPS having sufficient service to qualify for a pension but (i) not being eligible for immediate payment because you are not old enough, or (ii) retiring on grounds of ill-health, as an alternative to a deferred pension you could request that your pension rights should be transferred to some other pension arrangement.  A transfer value (a sum representing the capital value of your pension rights) would be assessed in accordance with guidance provided by the Scheme Actuary and offered to the trustees or managers of your new pension scheme. The transfer would take place if you so instruct.

You may leave employment with your current fire and rescue authority to transfer to another authority where you remain a member of the NFPS.  If the new employment is at a lower rate of pay, a split pensions option would be available to you.  Your pension rights normally transfer with you and a transfer value payment is made for any transfer either from or to a Scottish FRA.  Due to the financing system introduced in England, payments for transfers between English FRAs are no longer made.  However, a transfer value would be paid between an English authority and an authority in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland where different funding arrangements apply.


Link to Scottish Government Website