arrowsOn taking up your employment you will be asked to give details about any previous membership of a pension scheme and to indicate whether you would like your Fire and Rescue Authority to explore the possibility of a transfer of pension rights to the NFPS.  The NFPS can accept a transfer from:

    • another occupational pension scheme,
    • a personal or stakeholder pension scheme,
    • a retirement annuity contract

The NFPS can not accept a transfer of pension credit rights, i.e. rights based on a portion of the pension of a former spouse or civil partner as required under a pension sharing order on divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership.  Nor will a transfer be accepted if it does not meet certain "contracting out" requirements, or if the service credit provided by the transfer plus your prospective service to age 60 would exceed 40 years.

An application for a transfer must be made, in writing, within 12 months of joining the Scheme and received before the normal pension age of the scheme from which the pension rights are to be transferred.  Your Fire and Rescue Authority would provide you with an estimate of the benefits such a transfer would "purchase" in the NFPS.  You should compare this with any pension options offered by your previous scheme and decide, within the time limits, whether you wish the transfer to proceed.

For information on transferring benefits out of NFPS, please use the menu on the left.

Link to Scottish Government Website