arrowsThe Fire Pension Scheme (FPS) closed to new members on 6 April 2006. Transfers into this scheme are only possible for firefighters who join the Scotish Fire and Rescue Service and apply to transfer FPS service from another authority in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. This is subject to time limits, and a transfer of these benefits can only proceed when:

  • you have completed a transfer application form providing SPPA with full details of your previous pension provider
  • the value of your previous pension rights has been obtained by the SPPA
  • you have been notified by us of the membership that will buy you in the FPS and
  • you have made a written election within 12 months of joining our scheme that you want the transfer to go ahead
  • the transfer payment has been received before you reach normal pension age (within FPS)

Please contact SPPA on (01896) 893 000 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to request an application form. 

Pleae be aware SPPA cannot provide financial advice to you regarding whether or not to transfer your pension. If you require assistance please contact an independent financial advisor. 

Link to Scottish Government Website