What happens to my pension if I go back to work?

If you leave the police service but then return to service as a regular police officer at a later date, the NPPS regulations can affect you in a number of ways.

Resumption of police service before usual pension age

In general, if you resume police service having previously left the police either with a deferred pension (generally payable at age 65) or with an ill-health pension and you did not transfer your NPPS benefits to another pension scheme, your deferred pension will be cancelled and your previous pensionable service will be added to your second period of service towards one pension.  You will not need to make any payments to reinstate your previous service for pensionable purposes.  However, if you resume police service after having received a refund of your previous pension contributions, the refund would have to be repaid in order that your previous pensionable service can be restored.  You need to notify the police authority of your wish to make such a refund within six months of joining or re-joining the force (or before you cease to serve, if sooner), unless they allow a later notification.

Resumption of police service after receipt of a pension

At present it is relatively unusual for a retired police officer to serve again as a regular police officer,  except where an officer retires with an ordinary pension prior to taking up an appointment as an inspector or assistant inspector of constabulary.  If you are reengaged after you have retired, you may rejoin NPPS if your total pensionable service is less than 35 years and this will build up benefits for a second NPPS pension for you.




Link to Scottish Government Website