Q. What if I become too ill to work?

A. You may be able to retire early because of ill-health. An application to retire early because of ill-health should be made to your employer. The application must be supported by medical evidence and you may have to have a medical examination by the SPPA’s medical advisers.

Q. How do I apply for ill-health retirement?

A. If you are still working, you should apply on Form AW8, which you can get from your employer or on our website.

If you are no longer working you can access the forms AW8P and AW8MED/Preserved in the retirement forms section.

Link to Scottish Government Website